Mistakenly Reported As Deceased On Your Credit Report

Getting denied for credit is a hassle. Finding out the lender denied you because it thinks you are deceased is surprising, but not rare. Each year, thousands of people are erroneously reported as deceased by the Social Security Administration, which can drop their credit scores to zero. This issue also creates other complications and stress that can take months to resolve. Working with Stein Saks, PLLC can help you to fix it.

What Happens to Your Credit When You Are Marked as Deceased

Credit files are not deleted upon a person’s death. Instead, the credit bureaus put a note on the file saying that the person is reported as deceased. That way, if lenders receive an application for credit in that person’s name, the lender will receive information about the deceased notation. In addition, the person’s credit score drops to zero to help minimize the risk of identity theft.

As you can see, if you are mistakenly reported as deceased on your credit report, you may find it difficult to successfully apply for credit. When you apply for services that require a credit check, such as utilities or insurance, your application may be declined under these circumstances.

How to Fix Your Credit After Being Reported as Deceased

In order to restore your credit report and credit score, you need to find the source. Consumers in this situation are mistakenly reported as deceased typically through a creditor or the Social Security Administration accidently marking them as deceased. If the information came from the SSA, you should consult with a qualified attorney. Together, you can go to a Social Security office with original identification, such as a passport or driver’s license.

You will also need to dispute the errors with the three reporting bureaus. This process involves submitting an application to correct errors and providing information that proves your existence. Required information may include a notarized letter, current identification and proof of identity. The process to dispute can be rather difficult. To ensure you follow the correct procedures and provide all the necessary documentation, it’s important to speak to an attorney at Stein Saks, PLLC.

Choose Stein Saks, PLLC to Help Correct Your Credit Report

Although fixing the problem may seem straightforward, many people find that the process requires more work than they are able to commit to. Hiring Stein Saks, PLLC to help you correct inaccuracies in your credit report can save you time and effort. We can ensure that your dispute includes the correct information, to minimize the amount of time needed to process your dispute and correct your report. If you have already gone through the dispute process without success, we can work on your behalf to ensure that your creditors and reporting bureaus investigate the dispute according to the Fair Credit Reporting Act.


Why is my credit report saying I am deceased?

In most cases, consumers get a deceased notation on their credit reports through an error from the Social Security Administration or a creditor.

How can I fix my credit report saying I am deceased?

To fix your credit report, you need to dispute the error with the credit reporting bureaus, and possibly with the Social Security Administration.

Will a mistaken reporting as deceased affect my ability to apply for credit?

A deceased notation on a credit report usually prevents someone from using the report to secure a loan. As such, your credit applications may be declined or come back with an error.

How does a false death report affect my credit score?

To prevent identity theft, the credit reporting bureaus do not generate credit scores for reports on individuals who are deceased. In this case, your credit score may show up as 0.

Being mistakenly reported as deceased is complicated, but it does not have to ruin your life. Contact Stein Saks, PLLC to learn how we can help you.

Contact Stein Saks, PLLC

These laws require defendants to pay our fees and costs. Therefore, this litigation won’t cost you anything — our representation is FREE.

Call Now Button